WHAT IS IT?
VX is a highly toxic compound in both its liquid
and vapor form that attacks the
central nervous system. It is considered at least
100 times more toxic by entry
through the skin than the nerve-agent sarin, and
twice as toxic by inhalation.
VX can persist for long periods under average
weather conditions and for months
in very cold conditions.
VX can cause death minutes after exposure. It
can enter the body by inhalation,
ingestion, through the eyes and through the skin.
Symptoms can vary but commonly
include runny nose, water eyes, drooling, excessive
sweating, difficulty in
breathing, dimness of vision, nausea and twitching.
It kills by attacking the
body's voluntary muscle and gland "on switch,"
causing the muscles to
tire so they can no longer sustain breathing.
Immediate treatment is decontamination by removing
clothing and flushing the eyes
and skin with water. Hospitals in many communities
are stocking the antidotes.