Sarin can cause death minutes after exposure.
It enters the body by inhalation,
ingestion, through the eyes and the skin. Symptoms
vary but commonly include a
runny nose, watery eyes, drooling and excessive
sweating, difficulty in breathing,
dimness of vision, nausea, vomiting, twitching
and headache. It kills by attacking
the body's voluntary muscle and gland "on
switch," causing the muscles
to tire so they can no longer sustain breathing.
Immediate treatment is decontamination by removing
clothing and flushing eyes and
skin with water. Hospitals in many communities
are stocking the antidotes.